Polyendocrinopathy in children, adolescents and young adults with type 1 diabetes. A multicenter analysis of 28,671 patients from the German/Austrian DPV-Wiss-database
- Katharina Warncke, MD ()1,
- Elke E Fröhlich-Reiterer, MD2,
- Angelika Thon, MD3,
- Sabine E Hofer, MD4,
- Dagobert Wiemann, MD5,
- Reinhard W Holl, MD6 and
- on behalf of the DPV-Initiative of the German working group for pediatric diabetology and the German BMBF Competency Network for Diabetes Mellitus
- From the 1Department of Pediatrics, Technische Universität München, Munich, Germany
- 2Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
- 3Department of Pediatrics, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
- 4 Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of Innsbruck, Austria
- 5 Department of Pediatrics, Otto-von Guericke University Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany; and the
- 6 Department of Epidemiology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Objective To investigate diabetes-specific autoantibodies and additional autoimmune phenomena in a very large cohort of young patients with type 1 diabetes (T1D).
Research Design and methods Data from 28,671 patients < 30 years with T1D from 242 specialized centres in Germany and Austria were analyzed.
Results At least one Beta-cell-antibody was present in 81.6% of patients. ß-cell-Ab-negative patients were significantly younger at diabetes onset (p<0.0001). 19.6% had positive thyroid antibodies with female predominance (62 %, p<0.0001). Antibodies to tissue transglutaminase were present in 10.7%, with a significantly longer duration of diabetes (p<0.0001). Parietal cell antibodies were found in 283 patients, associated with older age (p<0.001), and adrenal antibodies were present in 94 patients. In 575 patients, at least 3 different autoimmune phenomena were present.
Conclusions Thyroid autoimmunity and antibodies suggestive for celiac disease are the most prevalent additional immune phenomena in T1D. Parietal/ adrenal antibodies are rare.
- Received March 1, 2010.
- Accepted June 7, 2010.
- Copyright © American Diabetes Association