Quality of Life Measures in Children and Adults with Type 1 Diabetes: The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring Randomized Trial
- Jean M. Lawrence, Sc.D., M.P.H., M.S.S.A1,
- Lori Laffel, M.D., M.P.H2,
- Tim Wysocki, PhD3,
- Dongyuan Xing, M.P.H.4,
- Roy W. Beck, M.D., PhD. ()4,
- Elbert S. Huang, M.D., M.P.H.5,
- Brett Ives, A.R.N.P.6,
- Craig Kollman, PhD.4,
- Joyce Lee, M.D., M.P.H.7,
- Katrina J. Ruedy, M.S.P.H.4,
- William V. Tamborlane, M.D.6 and
- for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring Study Group
- 1 Kaiser Permanente Southern California, 7060 Clairemont Mesa Blvd., San Diego, CA
- 2 Joslin Diabetes Center, One Joslin Place, Boston, MA
- 3 Nemours Children's Clinic, 10140 Centurion Parkway North, Jacksonville, FL
- 4 Jaeb Center for Health Research, 15310 Amberly Drive, Tampa, FL
- 5 University of Chicago, 5841 S. Maryland Ave., MC2007, Chicago, IL
- 6 Yale University, P.O. Box 208064, LMP 3103, New Haven, CT
- 7 University of Michigan, 300 NIB, Room 6E08, Campus Box 0456, Ann Arbor, MI
Objective. To evaluate the impact of continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) on quality of life (QOL) among persons with type 1 diabetes.
Research Design and Methods. In a multicenter trial, 451 children and adults with type 1 diabetes were randomly assigned to CGM treatment or the control group. Generic and diabetes-specific QOL questionnaires were completed by all participants and parents of participants <18 years at baseline and 26 weeks and the CGM Satisfaction scale by CGM group (participants and parents) at 26 weeks.
Results. After 26 weeks, QOL scores remained largely unchanged for both treatment and control groups, although there was a slight difference favoring the adult CGM group on several subscales (p <0.05). There was substantial satisfaction with CGM technology after 26 weeks among participants and parents.
Conclusions. Baseline QOL was high and the measures showed little change with CGM use, although a high level of CGM satisfaction was reported.
- Copyright © American Diabetes Association