Determinants of Insulin Resistance in Infants at Age 1 Year
Impact of gestational diabetes mellitus
- Carla A. Borgoño, MD, PHD1,
- Jill K. Hamilton, MD2,
- Chang Ye, MSC3,
- Anthony J. Hanley, PHD3,4,5,
- Philip W. Connelly, PHD4,6,
- Mathew Sermer, MD7,
- Bernard Zinman, MD3,4,8 and
- Ravi Retnakaran, MD3,4⇓
- 1Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2Hospital for Sick Children, Department of Pediatrics, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 3Leadership Sinai Centre for Diabetes, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 4Division of Endocrinology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 5Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 6Keenan Research Centre in the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 7Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 8Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Corresponding author: Ravi Retnakaran, .
OBJECTIVE The offspring of women with gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) display a propensity for the early accrual of cardiometabolic risk factors, including insulin resistance, in childhood and adolescence. Thus, we sought to identify early life determinants of insulin resistance in infants of women with and without GDM.
RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS In total, 104 full-term, singleton infants born to women with (n = 36) and without (n = 68) GDM were evaluated at age 1 year, with insulin resistance assessed by homeostasis model (HOMA-IR).
RESULTS HOMA-IR at 1 year did not differ between infants born to mothers with and without GDM (P = 0.74). The sole independent predictor of infant HOMA-IR in the non-GDM group was birth weight (t = 3.33, P = 0.002). In contrast, weight gain in the 1st year was the only independent predictor of HOMA-IR in infants of women with GDM (t = 2.19, P = 0.039).
CONCLUSIONS In the 1st year of life, weight gain in infants born to women with GDM is associated with insulin resistance, unlike in their peers.
- Received January 26, 2012.
- Accepted March 17, 2012.
- © 2012 by the American Diabetes Association.
Readers may use this article as long as the work is properly cited, the use is educational and not for profit, and the work is not altered. See http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ for details.