Most Youth With Type 1 Diabetes in the T1D Exchange Clinic Registry Do Not Meet American Diabetes Association or International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes Clinical Guidelines
- Jamie R. Wood, MD1,
- Kellee M. Miller, MPH2⇓,
- David M. Maahs, MD, PHD3,
- Roy W. Beck, MD, PHD1,
- Linda A. DiMeglio, MD, MPH4,
- Ingrid M. Libman, MD, PHD5,
- Maryanne Quinn, MD6,
- William V. Tamborlane, MD7,
- Stephanie E. Woerner, FNP4,
- for the T1D Exchange Clinic Network*
- 1Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- 2Jaeb Center for Health Research, Tampa, Florida
- 3Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, Aurora, Colorado
- 4Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana
- 5Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 6Children’s Hospital of Boston, Boston, Massachusetts
- 7Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
- Corresponding author: Kellee M. Miller,
OBJECTIVE To assess the proportion of youth with type 1 diabetes under the care of pediatric endocrinologists in the United States meeting targets for HbA1c, blood pressure (BP), BMI, and lipids.
RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS Data were evaluated for 13,316 participants in the T1D Exchange Clinic Registry younger than 20 years old with type 1 diabetes for ≥1 year.
RESULTS American Diabetes Association HbA1c targets of <8.5% for those younger than 6 years, <8.0% for those 6 to younger than 13 years old, and <7.5% for those 13 to younger than 20 years old were met by 64, 43, and 21% of participants, respectively. The majority met targets for BP and lipids, and two-thirds met the BMI goal of <85th percentile.
CONCLUSIONS Most children with type 1 diabetes have HbA1c values above target levels. Achieving American Diabetes Association goals remains a significant challenge for the majority of youth in the T1D Exchange registry.
↵A complete list of the members of the T1D Exchange Clinic Network can be found at http://care.diabetesjournals.org/lookup/suppl/doi:10.2337/dc12-1959/-/DC1.
- Received September 25, 2012.
- Accepted December 28, 2012.
- © 2013 by the American Diabetes Association.
Readers may use this article as long as the work is properly cited, the use is educational and not for profit, and the work is not altered. See http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ for details.